Paul Kleeberg, MD, FAAFP, FHIMSS
7811 128th Street W.
Apple Valley, Minnesota 55124
- University of Minnesota Family Medicine Residency, Saint Louis Park, Minnesota
- July 1993
- Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California
- M.D. June 1990
- University of Rochester, Rochester, New York
- Bachelor of Arts, Psychology, May 1977
Licensure and Certification:
- Certified Professional in Health Information Technology (CPHIT), 2010 - 2013
- American Board of Family Medicine Certification, 1995 - present
- Recertified 2002, 2009
- Minnesota State License, 1991 - present
- National Board of Medical Examiners, 1991
- 2015 Leader in Health IT Award, Becker's Hospital Review
- Aledade, Inc. (http://Aledade.com), Bethesda Maryland: 9/15 - present
- Medical Director: 9/15 - present
- Organization that partners with primary care physicians to build ACOs and help them to succeed in a value-based environment
- Provide coordinated clinical leadership to Aledade's ACOs located throughout the United States
- Work directly with providers at each practice so that they can better manage their patients, their populations, their referrals and their patients health needs
- Stratis Health (http://stratishealth.org), Bloomington, Minnesota: 4/10 - present
- Chief Medical Informatics Officer, Stratis Health: 1/12 - 9/15
- Independent non-profit that leads collaboration and innovation in health care quality and patient safety
- Provide informatics leadership in Stratiss multiple federal and state sponsored grants to transform care through HIT
- Work with providers and communities throughout the continuum of care to leverage HIT and facilitate care coordination and equity
- Clinical Director, Regional Extension Assistance Center for Health Information Technology (REACH) (http://khaREACH.org): 4/10 - 9/15
- An ONC regional extension center serving Minnesota and North Dakota
- Assist safety net and small primary care practices and hospitals to adopt and meaningfully use electronic health records.
- The Itinerant CMIO (http://iCMIO.com), Apple Valley, Minnesota: 6/09 - present
- President and CEO: 6/09 - present
- Group focused on helping hospitals and clinics leverage HIT to improve quality, efficiency and safety of care
- Assist facilities in developing their own chief medical informatics officer from within their ranks
- HealthEast Care System (http://www.healtheast.org), Saint Paul, Minnesota, 1/07 - 6/09
- Medical Director, Clinical Decision Support - Department of Health Informatics: 10/07 - 6/09
- Built and maintained content for the hospital provider order entry systems
- Designed, implemented and maintained a change control process for the clinical decision support (CDS)
- Independent Consultant - Department of Health Informatics: 1/07 - 10/07
- Migrated paper-based site-specific order sets to system-wide EHR order sets
- Designed tools to achieve system-wide key performance improvement targets
- Allina Health (http://www.allinahealth.org), Minneapolis, Minnesota, 4/95 - 12/06
- Medical Director, Clinical Decision Support - Office of Quality, Safety and Technology: 1/05 - 12/06
- Led the design and implementation of CDS interventions for the inpatient, ambulatory, and patient portal components of Allinas 2007 Davies Award winning EHR
- Led the construction and maintenance of system-wide order sets
- Created and managed the change request process for content within the ambulatory and inpatient clinical documentation and order-entry tools
- Approved medical content for Allinas web site
- Physician Consultant, System Design - Excellian: 9/03 - 1/05
- Designed and implementing the ambulatory and patient portal modules of Epics EHR
- Family Physician: 6/97 - 12/06
- Provided adult ambulatory care in a suburban practice
- Physician Advisor - Information Services: 4/95 - 9/03
- Established an internet presence for Allina
- Selected and approved medical content for Allina's health plan, patient and general population internet sites
- Saint Peter Clinic, Ltd. (http://www.riversedgehealth.org), Saint Peter, Minnesota, 9/93 - 6/97
- Family Physician:
- Provided primacy care services in an independent small-town hospital and clinic
- Provided obstetrical, adult, pediatric, inpatient, emergency room and nursing home care and student health services
American Medical Informatics Association (AMIA)
Association of Medical Directors of Information Systems (AMDIS)
Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society (HIMSS)
American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP)
Minnesota Academy of Family Physicians (MAFP)
American Medical Association (AMA)
Select Professional Activities:
- Minnesota e-Health Initiative:
- Co-Chair, MN e-Health Advisory Committee, 2015 - present
- Minnesota e-Health Advisory Committee, 2008 - present
- Co-Chair, EHR Adoption and Effective Use Workgroups, 2008 - 2013
- Minnesota Accountable Health Model:
- Multipayer Task Force 2015 - present
- Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society:
- Chair, Board of Directors - HIMSS North America, 2014 - 2015
- Board of Managers, HIMSS, 2014 - 2015
- Board of Directors, HIMSS North America, 2011 - 2015
- Certification Commission for Health Information Technology (CCHIT):
- Board of Trustees, 2013 - 2014
- Visiting Nurse Association of America (VNAA):
- Database Advisory Board, 2015 - present
- Office of the National Coordinator of Health Information Technology:
- Chair, Meaningful Use Community of Practice Advisory Committee, 2011 - 2012
- Meaningful Use Community of Practice Advisory Committee, 2010 - 2014
- Physician Advisory Board, 2011 - present
- MN Community Measurement:
- Health Information Technology Measurement Workgroup, 2009 - 2014
- American Academy of Family Physicians:
- Board of Directors, Student Member, 1989 - 1990
- Technology Task Force, 1997 - 2000
- Minnesota Academy of Family Physicians:
- Board of Directors, 2001 - 2003
- Chair, Technology and Innovative Practice Task Force, 2002 - 2004
- Minnesota Academy of Family Physicians / Foundation:
- Board of Directors, 1995 - 2001, 2010 - 2015
- Corporate Advisory Council, 2001 - 2002, 2010 - 2015
- Thompson Micromedex:
- Strategic Council, 2006 - 2007
- Minnesota Medical Association:
- Technology Task Force, 1996 - 1997Minnesota Epic User Group:
- Co-Chair, Clinical Decision Support SIG 2006 - 2007
- Co-investigator, A Community-shared Clinical Abstract to Improve Care, Grant Number: UC1 HS16155, Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, 2005 - 2006
- Overview: Proposed Changes to Meaningful Use Stages 1, 2 and 3 CMS National Coordinating Center Webinar 7/15.
- EHR Adoption: Creating an Appetite CMS National Coordinating Center Webinar 2/15.
- Health Information Technology for Quality Improvement University of Minnesota 12/14.
- Transforming Health and Health Care Fairview Hospital, Great Barrington, MA 10/14.
- Patient Centered Care - The Real Purpose of Meaningful Use College of Saint Scholastica 6/14.
- Healthcare Transformation: The Patient Centered Medical Home Iowa Association of Rural Health Clinics 4/14.
- Clinical Quality Measures: Challenges and Opportunities Minnesota e-Health Advisory Meeting 2/14.
- Clinical Decision Support to Improve Patient Care Minnesota Rural Health Conference 6/13.
- Meaningful Use Update: Stage 1 and Stage 2 Minnesota eHealth Conference 6/13.
- New Rules for the EHR Incentive Program Saint Paul, Minnesota, 1/13.
- Leveraging Meaningful Use to Assist in Reducing Hospital Readmissions, Institute for Clinical Systems Integration webinar 8/12.
- CMS and ONC Stage 2 NPRMs Minnesota Rural Health Conference 6/12.
- Meaningful Use Bootcamp for Professionals Grand Forks, North Dakota 12/11.
- Meaningful Use Bootcamp for Hospitals Grand Forks, North Dakota 11/11.
- Migrating to an EHR: The Promises and Perils REACH Webinar 8/11.
- Proposed Meaningful Use Incentives, Criteria and Quality Measures Affecting Critical Access Hospitals Minnesota Rural Health Conference 6/10.
- Roadmap for EHR Adoption to Achieve Meaningful Use Minnesota Academy of Family Physicians Spring Refresher 4/10.
- Minnesota Guide to Effective Use of EHRs Midwest HIMSS 2009 Fall Technology Conference 11/09.
- Successful Implementation of Clinical Decision Support Health Informatics Seminar, University of Minnesota 4/09.
- Hospital Implementations at Two Systems: Benefits and Lessons Learned 2007 Building for Excellence, Stratis Health 8/07.
- Creating A Governance System for Rules and Alerts Epic User Group Meeting, Epic Systems, 9/06.
- An Enterprise Approach to Managing Recalled or Discontinued Medications Epic User Group Meeting, Epic Systems, 9/06.
- Family Practice and the Internet, Rural Datafication, Minneapolis, 5/94
- The Information Superhighway: Medical Resources for Family Practice on the Internet, Society of Teachers in Family Medicine Spring Conference, 94
- The World at your Keyboard: Linking to Outside Resources, American Academy of Family Physicians Scientific Assembly, San Diego, 9/92
- Networking with Peers: Electronic Mail and Network Services, Society of Teachers in Family Medicine Spring Conference, 4/92
- Fam-Med: A Grass Roots Computer Network for Family Physicians, University of Minnesota Health Informatics Seminar, 2/92
- Kleeberg P, Sandefer RH. Regional Extension Centers, Medical Informatics: An executive Primer, published by HIMSS Press, ed. by Ken Ong, M.D., M.P.H., 2015
- Sandefer RH, Marc DT, Kleeberg P. Meaningful Use Attestations among US Hospitals: The Growing Rural-Urban Divide, Perspectives in Health Information Management, 2015 Mar
- Kleeberg P. Health cares digital Divide, Minnesota Physician 2013 Sep
- Kleeberg P. Health Information Technology: The Long View, North Dakota Physician 2013 Sep
- Kleeberg P. Accessing Health Information on the Web, Minnesota Physician 2002 Dec
- Kleeberg P. Information Management, Family Medicine: Principles and Practice, published by Springer-Verlag, ed. by Robert B. Taylor, M.D, 1997
- Kleeberg P. The Internet and the World Wide Web Implications for Health Care, The Medical Journal of Allina 1996 V. No.3
- Kleeberg P, Masys DR, Telecommunications, Computers in Clinical Practice published by the American College of Physicians, ed. by Jerome A. Osheroff, M.D., F.A.C.P. 1995
- Kleeberg P. Fam-Med: An Internet Resource for Family Physicians, Proc 17th Ann Symp Comp Applic Med Care (SCAMC 93) 1993;17:890
- Kleeberg P. Medical Uses of the Internet, Journal of Medical Systems 1993 Dec;17(6):363-6
- Contributor and Reviewer, Improving Outcomes with Clinical Decision Support: An Implementers Guide, published by HIMSS Press, ed. by Jerome Osheroff M.D., 2012
- Reviewer, Improving Medication Use and Outcomes with Clinical Decision Support: A Step-by-Step Guide, published by HIMSS Press, ed. by Jerome Osheroff M.D., 2009
- Editorial Advisory Board, Family Practice News, 2002 - 2008
- Reviewer, Archives of Family Medicine, 1998 - 2000
- Reviewer, Journal of Family Practice 1998 - 2002
- Reviewer, Allina Medical Journal 1995 - 1998
- Technical Evaluator, High Performance Computing and Communications Group for Area 4 of the 1993 High Performance Computing and Communications Broad Agency Announcement
Last updated: Thursday, 13-Aug-2015 11:45:41 CDT
Printed: Saturday, 25-Mar-2023 09:07:29 CDT